According to Chapter 249, Sect. III of the Borough Code: The owner of every property abutting any of the ordained streets of the Borough of Downingtown is hereby required to remove or cause to be removed from sidewalks abutting such property all snow and ice thereon, fallen or formed thereon, within 48 hours after the end of the snowfall or formation of ice.
If snow/ice is not removed within 48 hours, a Notice of Violation and fine of $20.00 will be issued. If snow/ice is not removed within 24 hours of the Notice, additional fines will be incurred.
If the property owner shall fail, neglect or refuse to comply with Chapter 249, Sect. 249-15 through 249-17, by removing the snow and/or ice within twenty four (24) hours of being issued this notice of violation, the Borough may proceed to clear all snow and/or ice and collect the expenses therefore and any additional amount allowed by law.
- Residential districts - snow/ice should be deposited onto the lawn
- Commercial districts - snow/ice should be deposited on 1/2 the sidewalk
- Clearing snow around parked vehicles - snow should be deposited on the lawn or the 1/2 sidewalk nearest the street
- Do Not pile snow on any storm drain inlet, as this may block the snow melt and create ponding and possible flooding
- Do Not deposit snow/ice on Borough Streets or Alleys